How to File a Workers’ Comp Claim in Ohio

Workers’ compensation serves as a lifeline to many who are injured on the job. If you find yourself in this situation, it’s understandable that you’re stressed about how you will pay medical bills along with your daily expenses. Filing a timely workers’ compensation claim can help you and your family with these expenses while you focus on your recovery. However, these claims are often complex and have many requirements, and those who are unexpectedly hurt and unable to work often don’t know how to properly file a workers’ comp claim.

The Ohio workers’ compensation attorneys at Kademenos, Wisehart, Hines, Dolyk & Wright Co., L.P.A. have years of experience filing claims for injured workers in Ohio. If you’re hurt on the job, we can make sure that your workers’ compensation claim will help you and your family during your time of need. To discuss how to file a workers’ comp claim in Ohio, call our office today at (419) 625-7770.

Is Your Injury Eligible For Workers’ Comp?

You can seek workers’ compensation payments if you are injured while acting in the normal scope of your work. For example, if you are at your job, or even if you have left your workplace in order to perform a work-related task, you’ll be covered. There are a number of limitations to workers’ comp in Ohio, and you probably will not be able to file a claim under the following circumstances:

  • Commuting to work is generally considered outside of the scope of your employment, and an injury that happens during your commute will probably not qualify for workers’ comp.
  • You may not be able to successfully seek workers’ compensation if your injury can be completely remedied by basic first aid. For example, if you get a small cut or scrape that heals in a matter of days, your injury is not severe enough to recover workers’ comp.
  • If you are doing something illegal while at work and you’re injured as a result, you will likely not recover worker’s compensation payments.
  • If you are an independently contracted worker, you may not qualify.

Reporting Your Injury

Before filing a worker’s compensation claim, you must report your injury to your employer as soon as possible. If you wait too long, the Ohio Bureau of Workers’ Compensation (BWC) might think that your injury is not serious, and that you are simply trying to use the system to seek unfair financial gain.

In addition to speaking with your employer immediately after your injury, you should also seek medical treatment as soon as possible. Whether a scheduled appointment or a visit to the emergency room, this will allow your recovery to begin while also adding to the legitimacy of your claim. Doctor’s appointments are generally well-documented, but make sure to note the time and details of your injury and report these details to your employer.

Filing Your Report Of Injury

A first report of injury filed (FROI) with the BWC begins your formal claim. This can be done by your employer or doctor. However, if neither party reports your injury to the BWC, then you will have to report it yourself. Your workers’ compensation lawyer can make sure that this is done properly and within the allotted time, which is two years from the date of your injury.

The BWC will review your claim by speaking with you, your doctor, and your employer. It’s important to be honest, but also very thorough with workers’ compensation officials. If you are approved, you will begin receiving your required benefits. However, if you are denied, your lawyer can help you prepare an appeal to the BWC’s decision, which must be filed within 14 days.

Kademenos, Wisehart, Hines, Dolyk & Wright Co., L.P.A. Can Help

Being injured at work can turn your life upside down, and you may be wondering if you qualify for workers’ compensation after suffering from a work-related accident. Even if you are approved for your claim, the BWC may mistakenly assign you insufficient benefits that are required in your case. Our lawyers understand every part of the workers’ compensation process in Ohio, and we can help you make sure that you recover enough to help you and your family during this difficult time.

To speak with an experienced workers’ compensation lawyer, contact Kademenos, Wisehart, Hines, Dolyk & Wright Co., L.P.A. today. Call us today at (419) 625-7770 for a free case consultation.