Although insurance companies are supposed to treat everyone fairly in the event of an accident, the reality is that insurers have an interest in denying claims because they do not make money by paying them out. While some claims get denied for valid reasons, there are many that do not deserve to get denied. By consulting an experienced Ohio car accident lawyer immediately following a crash, you can reduce the likelihood of the claim getting denied in the first place.
Common Reasons for Denials of Car Accident Claims
There are a variety of reasons an insurance company may deny your claim. Some of the most common reasons we see include:
- Accident Dispute: The insurer may claim that their policyholder did not cause the accident or cause the damage and injuries that you state it did.
- Policy Exclusion: Insurance policies contain an “exclusion” section that contains a list of things that the insurance company will not do. The insurer may claim that your accident falls under an exclusion and is not covered by the policy as a result.
- Vehicle or Driver Not Listed on Policy: Auto insurance policies typically only cover the individuals and vehicles listed. If you, the other driver, or your vehicle was not included on the policy, you may find it challenging to obtain coverage.
- Lapsed Policy: A lapsed policy is one that is no longer valid because you have not paid your premiums. If the accident took place while the policy lapsed, the insurer will deny your claim.
- Claim Exceeds Coverage Limits: Auto insurance policies only pay for certain types of losses up to a certain dollar amount. Claims over this dollar amount won’t be paid unless there is another type of coverage that applies.
How an Ohio Car Accident Lawyer Can Help With Your Denied Claim
If your claim has been denied, an Ohio car accident lawyer can help. We can double check the insurance company’s work by thoroughly reviewing your policy and the insurer’s investigation. Sometimes a simple mistake causes your claim to get denied.
We’ll also gather the additional evidence needed for more complicated denials. For example, if the insurer denies your claim because it believes you did not suffer any injuries or your injuries were less severe than you stated they were, an Ohio car accident lawyer can collect and provide medical evidence to counter the denial.
In addition, our legal team can appeal the insurance company’s denial through its internal system or in the courts. We can help you gather evidence and prepare for any court dates or hearings.
Contact an Ohio Car Accident Lawyer Today
Insurance companies who fail to honor a policy and deal dishonestly with their policyholders are unlawful. If you believe that your insurer had denied your claim for an invalid reason, contact an Ohio car accident lawyer as soon as possible. At Kademenos, Wisehart, Hines, Dolyk & Wright Co. LPA, we are committed to helping our clients obtain justice and hold the responsible driver accountable for his or her negligence.