Why You Need Underinsured & Uninsured Motorist Coverage

To legally drive in Ohio, you must meet Ohio’s financial responsibility requirements. This is established by maintaining auto insurance or purchasing a bond through the Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles or an insurance company.

Auto insurance policies vary greatly in what coverage is provided. And although you don’t have to carry uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage, it is helpful in the event of an accident.

If you have been involved in a car accident involving an uninsured or underinsured driver, contact Victor Kademenos at Kademenos, Wisehart, Hines, Dolyk & Wright Co. LPA today at (419) 625-7770.

We have experience filing uninsured/underinsured motorist claims, can negotiate with insurance companies, and make sure you receive the maximum amount of compensation possible. Initial consultations are free and there is no cost unless you recover compensation.

Ohio Minimum Coverage Requirements

Ohio has minimum requirements for liability car insurance. This includes coverage for bodily injury and property damage. But there is no mandate for uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage.

In 2013, Ohio raised the minimum requirements for auto insurance for the first time in 44 years to keep up with the rest of the country.

Under the current Ohio insurance laws, drivers must maintain a minimum of:

  • $25,000 per person injured in any one accident
  • $50,000 for all persons injured in any one accident
  • $25,000 for injury to or destruction of property of others in any one accident

Should I Get More than Minimal Insurance?

Most people choose to purchase more than the minimum liability coverage because you can be held personally responsible for any damages that exceed your policy limits. Maintaining adequate coverage can protect you and your personal assets if you are ever involved in a serious accident.

Types of Auto Insurance Coverage

While liability insurance covers the other person’s costs associated with an accident if it was your fault, other types of auto insurance cover your property losses.

The most common types of car insurance in Ohio include:

  • Comprehensive – This provides coverage for the cost of repairs when your vehicle is damaged by a non-collision event, like theft, vandalism, natural disasters, or when you hit a deer or other animal.
  • Collision – This pays for the cost to repair physical damage to your car caused by a collision that was your fault.
  • Underinsured/Uninsured – This provides coverage for any losses you suffer in an accident caused by a driver who is uninsured, underinsured or in the event of a hit-and-run.

Why Underinsured & Uninsured Coverage is Important

An accident with an uninsured or underinsured driver can be complicated and extremely frustrating. Often, the victim is left footing the bill for repairs and many of their other expenses.

Approximately 12.4% of Ohio drivers do not carry any auto liability insurance. An uninsured motorist (UM) policy can provide coverage for damages caused by a driver without insurance or an unidentified driver such as in a hit-and-run accident.

In addition, many Ohio drivers do not have enough insurance to cover serious accidents. A significant, injury-causing accident can result in medical bills far beyond the mandatory $25,000 minimum. An underinsured motorist (UIM) policy can cover damages that exceed the negligent driver’s policy limits. Your UIM policy will cover anything that is not covered by the other driver’s insurance.

Our Experienced Ohio Car Accident Attorneys Can Help

When you’ve been injured in a car accident due to another driver’s negligence, you deserve compassionate and experienced representation. The skilled Ohio personal injury attorneys at Kademenos, Wisehart, Hines, Dolyk & Wright Co. LPA can answer your questions and help fight for the maximum possible compensation.

Let us deal with the other driver’s insurance company, your own insurer, and guide you through the claim process.

Our attorneys have decades of experience representing car accident victims recover their medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other damages. We are ready to put our resources and decades of experience to work for you.

Call us today at (419) 625-7770 for a free, no-risk consultation.