Out-of-State Workers Compensation

If you have been injured on the job, you are likely concerned about how you will be paid through workers’ compensation. This becomes especially complicated when your employer is out of state. If you need to file a claim, contact the workers’ compensation lawyers Victor Kademenos or Adrienne Hines at Kademenos, Wisehart, Hines, Dolyk & Wright Co. LPA at (419) 625-7770. We will use our experience to arrive at the best possible outcome for your case.

While most employers with Ohio employees are required to provide workers’ compensation in the state of Ohio, many do not have the coverage they need. This can result in claims being denied and employees being intimidated into utilizing coverage from another state that is insufficient for their needs.

Who Qualifies As An Ohio Employee?

Ohio workers’ compensation applies to all Ohio employees. An Ohio employee is someone who works in Ohio permanently or temporarily for more than 90 consecutive days. There is no 90-day requirement for foreign employers. If your employer is located outside of the United States, it must have Ohio insurance coverage for all workers in Ohio.

Employers who are located in states other than Ohio must obtain workers’ compensation for Ohio employees. Those employers must report wages and pay insurance premiums to the Ohio Bureau of Workers’ Compensation (BWC). This ensures that all Ohio employees are protected if they are injured at work.

Not all employers fulfill their duty to obtain workers’ compensation for Ohio employees. If your employer failed to purchase workers’ compensation insurance to cover your injuries, contact the certified Ohio workers’ compensation attorneys at Kademenos, Wisehart, Hines, Dolyk & Wright Co. LPA at (419) 625-7770.

Ohio Workers’ Compensation Claim Process

If your employer is out of state, but you work in Ohio, you may still file a claim through the Ohio BWC. In order to make a workers’ compensation claim in Ohio, you should:

  • Report your injury or illness to your employer. As soon as possible, you should notify your supervisor or human resources department that you were injured or suffered an occupational disease. You will likely have to complete an accident report and provide proof of injury.
  • File an official Ohio Workers’ Compensation claim with the Ohio BWC. You must complete a First Report of Injury, Occupational Disease, or Death (FROI) form, which will be reviewed by a BWC claim manager. Within 28 days, you will be informed whether your claim is allowed or denied.
  • Seek legal advice from a certified Ohio workers’ compensation attorney. If your employer is out of state, it may not be aware of Ohio laws regarding workers’ compensation. Make sure your employer follows Ohio rules and provides you with necessary coverage. Contact Kademenos, Wisehart, Hines, Dolyk & Wright Co. LPA at (419) 625-7770 for help with your claim.