Why You Need Underinsured & Uninsured Coverage

To legally drive in Ohio, you must maintain auto insurance coverage or purchase a bond through the Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles or an authorized insurance company.

Auto insurance coverage varies a lot. And although you are not required to carry uninsured/underinsured insurance coverage, it is important to protect yourself.

If you are involved in a car accident with an uninsured or underinsured driver, contact Victor Kademenos at Kademenos, Wisehart, Hines, Dolyk & Wright Co., LPA today for a free consultation: (419) 625-7770.

We have decades of experience filing uninsured/underinsured motorist claims. Let us handle your case, and negotiate with insurers so you receive the maximum compensation possible.

Minimum Insurance Coverage in Ohio

Ohio mandates minimum coverage for liability car insurance. This includes bodily injury and property damage. However, there is no requirement for uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage.

In 2013, Ohio raised the minimum requirements for liability coverage for the first time in 44 years. Under the current law, drivers must maintain a minimum of:

  • $25,000 per person injured in any one accident
  • $50,000 for all persons injured in any one accident
  • $25,000 for injury or property damage of others in any one accident

Most people choose to purchase more than the minimum coverage because you can be held responsible for damages that exceed the policy limits.

Auto Insurance to Protect Yourself

While liability covers another person’s costs in an accident that was your fault, other types of insurance cover your losses. The most common types include:

  • Comprehensive – This covers the costs of repairs when your vehicle is damaged by a non-collision event. This includes theft, vandalism, natural disasters, or when you hit a deer or other animal.
  • Collision – This pays to repair damage to your vehicle caused by a collision that was your fault.
  • Underinsured/Uninsured – This is for any losses in an accident caused by another driver who is either uninsured or underinsured. It also covers hit-and-run accidents.

Why Coverage Is Important?

An accident with an uninsured or underinsured driver can be devastating. You may be left footing the bill for your medical expenses, lost wages, and other damages.

It’s a sad reality that many Ohio drivers do not carry any type of insurance. An uninsured motorist (UM) policy provides coverage for damages caused by a driver without insurance. It also covers losses if a driver strikes your car in a hit-and-run.

In addition, many drivers do not have enough insurance to cover serious accidents. An underinsured (UIM) policy covers damages caused by a driver whose policy limits do not cover all of your losses. Medical bills can rise quickly. And a UIM policy will cover anything not covered by the other driver’s insurance.

Our Experienced Ohio Car Accident Attorneys Can Help

When you get injured because of another driver’s negligence, you deserve compassionate and experienced representation. The skilled Ohio personal injury attorneys at Kademenos, Wisehart, Hines, Dolyk & Wright Co., LPA can answer your questions, guide you through the claim process, and fight for the maximum possible compensation.

Our attorneys have decades of experience helping car accident victims to recover their medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other damages. We are ready to put our resources to work for you.

Call us today at (419) 625-7770 for a free consultation.